Using Mosh instead of SSH

ssh

I’ve been using Resin.io for a recent project that is using a 3G USB modem to connect to the internet, and in testing I’ve noticed that SSH isn’t particularly responsive on slow connections like this. Even worse, when deployed my project will likely have a more flaky/inconsistent connection.

With that in mind, I’m curious if anyone has managed to get something like https://mosh.org/ working with Resin (if it’s even possible?), or if anyone on the Resin team has looked in to adding it as an option instead of SSH for remote access into devices. It seems like a great fit considering that Resin enables projects that are often using cellular connections.

I’d love to hear anyone’s thoughts/opinions on the matter, and if you have tips for improving/dealing with SSH over a cellular connection I’m all ears.

Alex

Hey Alex, we’ve had a couple people ask about Mosh, including those (such as yourself) who are using cellular. We’ve opened up an issue to explore it further and will let you know what we come up with.

Thanks for the feedback!