Resin-wifi-connect setup issues

raspberrypi3

I’m currently trying to get resin-wifi-connect to work within a container on a RaspberryPi 3.

I have got to the stage where running wifi-connect gives: “Error: Cannot find a WiFi device”
Is there anything else I need to enable that I might have overlooked?

Output of ls -al /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ on hostOS shows me resin-wifi-01. Within the other service it returns nothing.

One additional change that I needed to make to get wifi-connect to work at all was to set:

DBUS_SYSTEM_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=**/var/**run/dbus/system_bus_socket

rather than:

DBUS_SYSTEM_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:path=**/host/**run/dbus/system_bus_socket

I am not sure whether this is by design.

ifconfig in hostOS shows wlan0 whereas in the container it does not.

Edit: may need to add net:host in docker-compose.yml I suspect

OK - my last change to docker-compose.yml resolved it.
network_mode: “host”

@WillFG The correct D-Bus address for running WiFi Connect in a container should be unix:path=/host/run/dbus/system_bus_socket on resinOS.

Are you installing the network-manager package inside your container? Inside a container WiFi Connect is not able to run with the default D-Bus address (/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket).

The docker-compose.yml additionally needs (in case you have not specified it):

labels:
      io.resin.features.dbus: '1'
```

Thanks, it’s now connecting on the specified path.
I have not got it to work fully, beyond showing the UI and sometimes available networks, but I’ll research that some more before asking any further questions.

No problem with that as your input is valuable for making WiFi Connect better. Please do not hesitate to ping me if you encounter any issues or have questions.

I am still encountering reliability problems.

• Often I can curl a request from the Host OS but not from my desktop.
  • In addition, I often get “request error = Header” when accessing the form.

See my current docker-compose.yml:

resin-wifi-connect:
build:
context: ./resin-wifi-connect
args:
- BASEIMAGE_BUILD=resin/raspberrypi3-debian:stretch
environment:
DBUS_SYSTEM_BUS_ADDRESS: “unix:path=/host/run/dbus/system_bus_socket”
restart: always
privileged: true
network_mode: “host”
ports:
- 80:80/tcp
labels:
io.resin.features.dbus: ‘1’

Is there anything obviously wrong?
Edit: I will look at masking the network manager service as this was suggested in another thread.

Here is a sample repository with running WiFi Connect in a multicontainer environment:

You may check the docker-compose.yml and the Dockerfiles. I tried to make it as simple as possible

Thanks, I put systemctl mask NetworkManager.service into my Dockerfile and that seems to have fixed it, in that resin-wifi-connect is now giving me “Internet connectivity established”. The Header errors seem to be a bit of a red herring.
Additionally I removed 80:80/tcp from docker-compose.yml as this was not in the examples.

Are you using nmcli inside the container? If not, most probably you do not need to install NetworkManager inside the container.

It was indeed installed; I’ll remove it.