Problems with multiline environment variable

I was wondering if anyone had any tips regarding multiline environment variables.

Specifically, I’ve got a PEM formatted private key for accessing a Google service. I’m currently reading it in via an environment variable but I keep getting the error Error: error:0906D06C:PEM routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line. I’m fairly sure that’s because the newlines aren’t being preserved and the parser can’t find the start line.

Here’s a screenshot of the results of me pasting the environment variable in as a service variable:

Making all of this worse: this was working yesterday. In between one deploy and the next this stopped working. So if this issue sounds familiar or someone else has a workaround or any ideas, please let me know.

Hey, when was the last deploy where this worked? And have you tried using newline escape sequences?

Last time it worked was yesterday, not sure about the time. Late afternoon for me (I’m in CDT).

I’m not sure I escaped them enough. :slightly_smiling_face: I wrote \n (the first time I tried to get this to work) and was getting the same error. I haven’t tried it today. Maybe I should’ve written \\n? Any opinions before I go find-and-replacing when I get a chance?

Thanks for the info – just trying to discern whether it having stopped working might relate to our multi-container rollout. If it has worked the entire time before, and doesn’t now, this could be a bug, we’ll check.

Can you tell us how long ago you set this multiline value first? Was that weeks ago, or did you update it in the past couple of days?

Past couple of days. I think I even opened my account yesterday.

I’m having the same problem; if I paste in multi-line strings then the newlines appear to be turned into spaces. Did you find a workaround / was this resolved?

Hi,

We can confirm that this is an issue with the Dashboard, we have already filed an issue and will update the thread when the fix reaches production.

Thanks for reporting!

In many of my Google integrations I configure the base64 part of the secret, and manage the new lines from within the code. Not a fix, but a workaround, and in my case also leaves the configuration values cleaner.

@drhayes @WillFG We’ve released an update to the dashboard that fixes this issue. Line breaks in environment variable values are now preserved correctly.