Install Etcher on Mac

Why do you computer enthusiasts always say how easy it is, and then make it utterly baffling to us ordinary folk?
Ubuntu says I should use Etcher to make a bootable USB, so I download Etcher, hoping for a .dmg file (they’re really easy) or a .pkg file (they’re fairly straightforward). But I get a .zip file. I double click and it expands to a unix executable file called “etcher-1.3.1-x86_64.AppImage”.
So how do install it?
I tried dragging it to a terminal window but all I got was " /Volumes/FAT/etcher-1.3.1-x86_64.AppImage -bash: /Volumes/FAT/etcher-1.3.1-x86_64.AppImage: cannot execute binary file". Then I opened it with a text editor and put all the gibberish into the terminal window. Still nothing.
So, can I ever hope to use Etcher, if so how, and if you’ve made it so simple why don’t you have either an installer that runs on the desktop or a step by step explanation?

I downloaded Etcher again this morning. Clicked the same download button and off we went. This time it was a .dmg file! Excellent! And it opened! And it had a simple installer…which simply told me the current version of Etcher is incompatible with Mac OSX Lion. Why don’t you put system requirements anywhere on your website? Perhaps I could use Etcher CLI but there are no adequate instructions - what instructions there are, seem to presuppose a lot of CLI knowledge.