How to build my custom base image?

I would like to create a base image for my project. The image would be based on resin/raspberry-pi2-node6, on top of which I would install some libraries. Example of Dockerfile:

FROM resin/raspberry-pi2-node:6 

COPY qemu-arm-static /usr/bin/

RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y tar wget git && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

docker build -t mycompany/raspberry-pi2
docker push mycompany/raspberry-pi2

I would then be able to base my project on this image

FROM mycompany/raspberry-pi2 

When I tried to build the image on my local Linux, I got the error

exec format error
[8] System error: exec format error

I guess this is because I am trying to build the image from a non ARMv6 architecture. Is it possible to emulate this architecture on my local machine or should I build from a Raspberry Pi 2 ?

Thanks for your help

Hi @benoitguigal ! Maybe this will help you: https://resin.io/blog/building-arm-containers-on-any-x86-machine-even-dockerhub (though building on a Pi will work too, only it’ll probably be slower)

In particular, from that blogpost, I think all you need to do is:

mount binfmt_misc -t binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc  
echo ':arm:M::\x7fELF\x01\x01\x01\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x02\x00\x28\x00:\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\x00\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xff\xfe\xff\xff\xff:/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static:' > /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/register  

And then you don’t need to copy qemu-arm-static, everything should work out of the box (as our base images already have it).

It works like a charm ! Thank you