Eduroam campus wifi network

wifi

I am looking for advice on how best to connect to eduroam. I have a research project I want to connect through resin and will be trying some things related to getting linux devices on eduroam.

In the larger picture however, a lot of universities use eduroam and if adding support or documentation for eduroam with Resin-wifi-connect is low hanging fruit then I would love to make this happen. It would be useful to connect devices to campus wifi networks using the captive portal.

I look forward to any thoughts or suggestions on this idea.

Thank you

Hi @kanr, I am one of the maintainers of resin-wifi-connect and I will look into your idea later today and will get back to you :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot for the interest,
Zahari

i’ve just set this up, and had exacly the same conversation with a resin dev in the UK. Take a look at https://docs.resin.io/deployment/network/2.0.0/

specifically the section on WPA2-enterprise wifi connection

basically, you mount your download OS image and inspect the boot partition and look for the system-connections directory

you should be able to edit the file /system-connections/resin-wifi to add the correct network config

the wpa2-enterprise example worked for a me on eduroam here;

Thanks for trying it out, and giving feedback here. :slight_smile: We had some workshops and events at UK universities, and the network was almost always a tough part, good to know that we might have something to recommend the students (instead of 4G hotspots and similar “workarounds”). :wifi:

Currently resin-wifi-connect does not support connecting to WPA2 Enterprise authenticated networks. We had a couple of questions about it in the last year and most probably we will add that in a 3.X release in the near future. So for now only the method @danb describes will work for using a eduroam with resin.

I opened an issue in the resin-wifi-connect repo about adding WPA2 Enterprise in a future release: https://github.com/resin-io/resin-wifi-connect/issues/123

All, Thanks so much for the replies I am very optimistic about my chances for success. I will keep this thread updated as I make progress.

I am using resin in teaching and research scenarios and a WPA2 enterprise would be a great help. very happy to beta test anything you get working…

Did/does your campus us certs with their eduroam logins? I tried this example just as you described and was not successful and my feeling is because when I connect with my phone or computer I have to accept a signed certificate. I can access the certificate in my macbook keychain so if its a matter of manually putting it on my device I can do that.

Thanks for the tips.

UPDATE: I made a goof in my edits. Your original suggestion worked. Thanks!

:smiley: v cool, I was talking with a resin dev at an industry thing last night and he said that this is apparently being worked on internally to make config and access simpler…

can i ask you where you screwed up? My file looks like this now.

[connection]
id=resin-wifi
type=wifi

[wifi]
ssid=eduroam
mode=infrastructure
security=802-11-wireless-security

[wifi-security]
key-mgmt=wpa-eap

[802-1x]
eap=peap
identity=my_university_id
phase2-auth=mschapv2
password=my_password

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
method=auto

Hi there! wifi-connect 4.2.0 was just released, and it adds WPA2 Enterprise support: https://github.com/resin-io/resin-wifi-connect/pull/226